Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Team Player; my first campaign promise.

I took a relationships course last year, and learned so much through it.

Here's a quote that I've pondered quite a bit, "Working with others is a slower process than working alone."

There is a lot that needs to be done in our Town, but I'm not running for Council with the intention of becoming some super hero. (Super heroes work alone to save the day). My main concern is creating an environment where all of Hornepayne can (if they so desire), contribute. We are entering into a rebuilding season, and well, it's a process that nobody can do alone. We need each other and we need to be able to work together.

I have been involved in many things over the years; Minor Hockey, Friends of the Library, KidSport, the Youth Center Board, and the truth is, working with others is not always easy! Many who are reading this know it's true, LOL. Good leadership is essential to smooth interaction.

There are two main Political relationships that the voter has to consider when choosing a Mayor and Council. The Council themselves have to work together, and together, they have to work with the public. Together we are a Team, and each of us need to be a Team Player. I don't know how the current Council works together, but it's my opinion that they don't work well with the public. This relationship should never be overlooked, especially at this time.

Anyone who is running for Council should not be going into it with their own agendas. Good ideas, yes! Once voted in, you are part of a team and you have to be ready to work as a team; with each other and with the public who just voted for you.

Here are my initial campaign promises ☺:
1. I promise to bring my ideas to the table, take criticism, allow others to contribute, and help grow them.
2. I promise to not only work hard on all the causes that I'm passionate about, but also for the causes that my team members are passionate about. (Remember team members are the other members of Council AND the Public.)
3. I promise to not only listen, but to also consider what others are saying. (That should be a no brain er right?)
4. I promise to not judge another team Player from the outside, or play favorites. (Another no brain-er! ☺) Not everyone's qualities, talents, or strengths are on display. Everyone has something to contribute to Hornepayne, and that's the treasure our leaders need to seek out.
5. I promise to communicate with the Public and to remain in communication throughout the full term.

Don't underestimate the need for this skill. Not everyone can work with others and if your leaders fail in this category, Hornepayne will suffer from disorder, (see my post on order.)

I look forward to working with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment